You might not be aware of it but there are a lot of music taboos in society. You probably haven’t thought much about it but here are some music taboos you should break;
- That music that you like, that all your friends say is un-cool, you need to start listening to it and screw what your friends think.
- It should not be taboo to start being your own music critic and stop relying on authorities such as ‘music critics’ and ‘media popularity.’
- It’s not taboo to like more than one genre in music. In fact, you can like as many different genres as you want.
- It’s not taboo to think that music from an older time period is cool. Every age had its new music and artists that shook up the status quo.
- Music is not meant to be just in the hands of ‘professionals.’ It’s not taboo to pick up an instrument and start to learn to play it.
- It’s not taboo to listen to your own Muse; ‘everybody’s got one.’
You can compare a lot of these taboos to the taboos that Moses’s followers had, coming out of Egypt. Sounds strange, right? But think about what Moses’s laws were trying to do; to separate those people from the people and culture of Egypt.
Now, every new generation has had its own music and mainly to what end? To create an identity that is separate from the previous generation. Take a look; it’s been going on for longer than you might think. Now it’s no longer counter-culture but very much a tool of the establishment. The suits that are collecting the money are blessing all these taboos and taking it to the bank. Meanwhile, culture suffers and creative freedom goes down the drain.
Post a Comment